Baby, It’s Cold Out There!
Colder temperatures call for drastic measures, but not when it comes to safely heating your home. Follow our tips this winter to keep your family cozy – and safe.
- Schedule a Preventative Maintenance Check. Properly servicing your systems allows our professionals to check/test for things like: carbon monoxide, electrical connections, and proper venting, which all contribute to your well-being.
- Use Portable Heaters Safely. Make sure that these are located out of high traffic areas and 3 feet away from combustible materials to prevent: tripping hazards, burning injuries and fires. These also need to be plugged directly into an outlet, not a power strip or extension cord for precaution from fires as well.
- Don’t Use Your Oven to Heat Your Home. These were designed to heat internally, not an entire home, and is very unsafe – especially for children, elderly and pets.
- Invest in a carbon monoxide reader. CO can be fatal once levels reach too high in your home. Because CO is an odorless gas, it is vital to invest in a CO reader to protect yourself and your family before it’s too late.
- If using a liquid fueled heater, make sure that you’re using the right one. Never use a substitute or lower-grade fuel. Refuel your heater outdoors in an area where spills won’t present a fire hazard. Refuel only when the equipment is cool. Adding fuel to a hot heater can cause the fumes to ignite.
- Check your fireplace. Be sure dampers are in working order and never leave fires unattended. Protect your home from sparks by using a fire screen made of sturdy metal or heat-tempered glass.
Start today by calling your friends at Keystone for your maintenance check! 614/321-4447.